The following is a list of articles and reports that I have written.
- Replacing Your Web CMS May Be Exactly the Wrong Thing To Do (cmswire)
Dissatisfaction is spreading through the world of web content management like an epidemic, and while it’s easiest to pass the blame off on the tools you use, chances are that good ol’ fashioned human failures are the actual culprit. In fact, changing content management platforms could be the most detrimental thing you do for your company this year.
- Selecting a CMS: Managing Product Demos (cmswire)
This is third installment of a CMS selection series on CMS Wire provides Step-by-step instructions for coordinating successful vendor demos.
- Selecting a CMS: Developing Usage Scenarios (cmswire)
This is the second installment of a CMS selection series on CMS Wire. This article describes how to decide what features to document with usage scenarios and how to write the scenarios.
- Selecting a CMS: How to Build a Short List (cmswire)
This is the first in three part series on CMS Wire. It covers how to quickly filter down the vast marketplace of CMS products so you can concentrate on the ones that have the greatest likelihood for success.
- Drupal for Publishers
This is a report that I wrote back in 2009 when Drupal was at version 6.10. The specific details about the software are out of date but business aspects and general themes are still valid.
- Open Source Web Content Management in Alfresco. This report reviews the WCM capabilities of version Alfresco Enterprise version 3.1. To be honest, Alfresco’s WCM capabilities have improved in the three years since I wrote this report but not much. Alfresco is much more interested in Document Management.
- Open Source Web Content Management in Java
This report was published in 2008. All of the products are substantially upgraded but the approach to selecting an open source CMS (and how it differs from commercial CMS) is still very valid.
- What is Web 2.0 Content Management? Part 2 (cmswire) (with Brice Dunwoodie)
- What is Web 2.0 Content Management? Part 1 (cmswire) (with Brice Dunwoodie cmswire)
- The CMS Report (contributing author to releases 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 14)
- Unleashing the Power of Open Source in Document Management (with Sebastian Wohlrapp)
This white paper (written in 2006 with Sebastian Wolrapp) was aimed at organizations and enterprises that are considering or in the process of implementing a document management (DCM) system as well as such that are rethinking DCM and ECM practices as they refine their content management directions.
- Content Management Problems and Open Source Solutions
- From Enterprise Content Management to Effective Content Management