Over the past few years I have joined several social networking sites and continue to use a few of them regularly. These sites serve different purposes for me and I have started to come up with strategies of whom to connect with where. Here are the general guidelines that I have developed (subject to spontaneous change and arbitrary override).
- On Facebook, I only "friend" real life friends and family.
- On location based services (like Tripit, Brightkite), I only connect to people that I would genuinely like to meet up with when traveling and who I trust not to rob my house when I am away.
- On LinkedIn, I only connect with people that I would want to work with.
- I only follow people who inform and/or entertain me on Twitter and Friendfeed
- I have stopped joining sites like Naymz for which I can't see real purpose.
Well, those are my rules and I'm stickin' to 'em... at least, for now and when I don't forget them (LOLZ).